Sunday, May 1, 2011

Beer Review: Samuel Adams Lattitude 48 IPA

Hopheads rejoice!

Not too many avid beer lovers I know get too excited about a Samuel Adams beer these days. I feel like most people overlook them, almost to the extent of considering them a "macrobrewery" by default.

Well, Lattitude 48 IPA is one of a few recent beers Sam Adams has brought to the table to relay the idea that they're just as passionate about beer as the little guys. Honestly, I wasn't excited to try this beer. What, there's only two in a summer sampler? For those of you who have had the standard Sam Adams IPA, I think my sentiments can be shared that it was good, but by no means exceptional.

This beer IS.

Beer pours a beautiful gold-amber with a bright head, ready to tingle your nose with a wonderful aroma of hops with a soft malt presence. Your first sip is the kicker. The moment. This IPA comes off so horrifically balanced and clean that your mind will implode. I can fairly say that I don't think I've ever had a cleaner IPA.

 (except for possibly the Big Rock Chophouse [Birmingham, MI] "Norm's Raggedy Ass IPA", which is the only IPA that beat Founders Centennial IPA at the World Beer Cup in Chicago last year.)


This beer is wonderfully balanced, with a solid malt backbone to the hops, sporting nice caramel middlenotes while still not being too overpowering or too laid back. The hops are bright and consistent all the way through your sip, from the tip of your tongue all the way down. This beer also has a fantastic afterhop that stays with you only long enough for you to have a woah moment, then it's gone.

The yeast is extroardinarily clean. So clean it almost feels unnatural. The yeast is very neutral, but leaves a soft metallic ester that some wouldn't necessarily enjoy (but I LOVED it).

I savored the first. The second. Before I knew it, my six pack was gone.

and I wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment